Soft Sponge Cake (fluffy & cotton soft)
- 60g butter, melted
- 80g cake flour (plus 1-1/2 tsp baking powder. Sift)
- 80ml milk
- 1 egg + 5 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 75g sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven at 170*C for 15 mins.
2. Beat 1 egg + 5 yolks until creamy in pale yellow colour & fluffy on high speed for a few minutes or until it double its original volume. Add in flour & alternate it with milk. Add in melted butter and mix well. Set aside.
3. Beat egg whites on high speed until white & frothy for about 40 sec – 1 min. Add in salt & sugar a bit at a time. Beat for about 2 mins until its stiff & thick foamy. Once mixture clings & does not drip, it is ready.
4. Fold 1/3 whites with egg yolk batter with a spatula till well combined. Take another 1/3 egg whites, repeat the same step. And same for the last 1/3 egg white. DO NOT OVER MIX!
5. Pour batter into fully lined baking pan. Give the pan a few good shakes to remove air.
6. Bake a preheated oven 170C for 10mins, then reduce heat to 150C for another 30-35 min or till done. (20 min done tested with cake tester)
7. Remove from oven and
Normal baking tin – overturn for 5 mins (to prevent cake from sinking) before unmould (to prevent cake from sinking).
Removable tin – Cool for 5 min-10 min, run a metal spatula or a small sharp knife around inside of pan to loosen cake and un-mould.
8. Place them on a wire rack to cool completely (for at least half an hour), remove baking paper if any and spread the sponge with jam/cream/frosting as you desire.