Simple Whole Wheat Bread
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Makes: One loaf
- 259 g whole wheat flour
- 63g bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast (or dry active yeast)
- 2 tbsp sugar (or honey but add honey after the milk) sugar=25g honey=43g
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup 1% milk, heated to 49° C for instant yeast (or 43° C for dry active)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 egg
- 35 g additional bread flour
- Place flours, yeast, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in milk, followed by oil and egg.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- On low speed add about 35 g bread flour until dough forms a mass.
- Place dough on floured surface and knead 50 turns.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape dough into a loaf and place in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 3/4-inch loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm spot until it’s one inch taller than the pan, about 45 minutes.
- Meantime, preheat oven to 191° C (convection baking 177° C)
- Bake for 30 minutes. After the first 15 minutes, cover the top of the loaf with a foil tent to prevent over-browning.
Easy Whole Wheat Bread