Red Velvet Cake Roll
- 70g cake flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 150g granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 28 g red food coloring
- pinch of vanilla powder (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
Add one tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar to a liquid measuring cup, and add enough milk until it measures 1 cup. Stir, and let sit for five minutes before using. This also works with non-dairy milks.
For the cream cheese filling:
227g cream cheese, room temperature
57g unsalted butter, room temperature
250g confectioners powdered sugar
pinch of vanilla powder (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 deg C). Spray a 10×15 inch jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray, line with parchment paper-1, then generously spray again. On a flat surface, lay down another parchment paper-2 and sprinkle with powdered sugar; set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl beat eggs on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until frothy and pale yellow in color. Add sugar and oil beat until well-combined. Beat in buttermilk, vinegar, red food coloring, and vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly beat in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly to the edges. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched in the center.
- Upon removal from the oven, immediately run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Swiftly invert the cake onto the parchment paper-2 that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar. Gently peel off the parchment paper-1 and discard. Then, starting at the short end, slowly roll up the cake and parchment paper-2 together. Set aside on a wire rack to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the cream cheese filling. In a medium sized bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth and well-combined. Beat in powdered sugar until well incorporated.
- Once cake roll is completely cooled, carefully unroll. Evenly spread cream cheese filling over the surface of the roll. Then, roll the cake up again, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
Red Velvet Roulade Cake