Onion Garlic Bread
Prep Time: 150 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 195 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf‘
- 3/4 cup warm water, (35~43 deg C)
- 2-1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp sugar (12.5 g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 14 g soft butter
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder (5 g)
- 1 med. yellow onion, finely chopped
- 508 g bread flour
1. In large bowl, mix water and yeast. Add milk, sugar, salt, butter, garlic powder, and onion. Stir. 375 g flour and mix well. Add remaining 133 g flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 4 minutes, adding more flour as needed until the dough is soft and smooth to the touch. Place dough in medium greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
2. Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for 4 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. Shape dough into loaf. Place loaf in greased bread pan. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
3. Bake bread at 177 deg C in a preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when the top is tapped. Remove bread from pan and let cool on rack.
4. Serve bread warm with homemade whipped butter or, for extra garlic flavor, with garlic chive butter. The bread can also be sliced, topped with a favorite hard cheese, such as grated mozzarella cheese, and toasted in a toaster oven until cheese melts and the bread is lightly brown.