- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp cake flour
(OR 2 tbsp of corn starch in the bottom of the cup, then fill the rest with all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 eggs separated (room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar (to further stabilize the egg whites)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (147g – 75g for egg yolk and 72 g for egg white)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil (vegetable oil)
- Preheat bread machine to 340 deg F (171 deg C)
- Sift the flour and baking powder together 3 times
- In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, salt, vanilla extract, and 6 tbsp sugar (75g and reserve the rest for later). Whisk several minutes until the mixture turns pale yellow. Stir in the water and oil, and whisk well between each addition. Fold in the flour mixture and whisk until well blended, but don’t over-mix.
- In another clean bowl, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and reserved sugar (72g), and beat with a clean whisk until stiff. Make sure neither the bowl nor the whisk have any trace of fat, or the eggs will not rise and cake will be of flat variety and not of sponge decent.
- Fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into the batter and mix gently until blended. Fold in the rest of the egg whites, gently lifting the batter up and over the egg whites with a rubber spatula until just blended.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan. Bake 50 minutes.
Chinese Style Sponge Cup Cake
How to make Chinese Sponge Cake