Easy Vanilla Pudding
- 1/3 cup (66 g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place a mesh strainer over a 4-cup measuring cup or bowl with a spout and set aside.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan and whisk until incorporated. While constantly whisking, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of the milk until smooth. Whisk in the egg yolks and remaining milk.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, whisking often, until the pudding begins to thicken and just starts to bubble, about 5 to 6 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and switch to a rubber spatula. Stir constantly, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan, until the pudding makes visible ribbons when drizzled over the surface, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla extract until the butter is melted and completely incorporated.
- Pour the pudding through the prepared strainer. Immediately transfer it to 4 (4-ounce) ramekins or resealable containers.
- Lightly press a piece of plastic wrap on top of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator until set, about 2 hours.
How to Make Easy Vanilla Pudding