Chocolate Sponge Cake-2
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100ml whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 170 deg C
- Line the bottom of the baking pan with parchment paper, greased.
- Place the butter and sugar in a stand mixer and beat until pale coloured and increased in volume.
- Add all the remaining ingredients at once, sifting in the flour with the baking powder. Beat the cake mixture for about three minutes until it turns lighter in colour and increases in volume.
- Pour the batter in the baking pan and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake for 35-45 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- It is important to check that this cake is properly cooked or it will fall after baking. Even if the skewer comes out clean, it is a good idea to listen to the cake. If you can hear a sizzling sound, it needs further cooking; if not, it is cooked through.
Soft & Moist Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 227 g self raising flour
- 227 g butter
- 170 g granulated sugar
- 3 large free range eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 39 g cocoa powder (unsweetened, best quality available)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C and grease a 10″ round baking pan.
- Warm the butter up in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds, it needs to be extremely soft but not liquid.
- Mix the sugar and the warmed butter together. Unlike a regular sponge, it is NOT necessary mixing for more than a couple of minutes – creaming to get it fluffy.
- Next mix in the eggs. Once they are fully incorporated add the baking powder & cocoa powder. Carefully mix them in then quickly mix the mixture for a minute.
- Mix in the flour, being sure to get it well mixed and break up any lumps that may be lurking.
- Finally, mix in water gradually.
- Pour the cake batter into the baking pan, level off and place in the centre of the oven to bake for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes have passed, promptly turn the oven off and leave the cake in there for 10-15 minutes before removing.
- Leave the cake in it’s pan for 10 mins then pop out and leave to cool on the serving plate.
- Once the cake has cooled, give it a generous dusting of confectioners sugar.
Best Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe