- 3 to 3 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 11⁄4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or shortening
- Place 2 1⁄2 cups (64 g) flour, sugar, yeast and salt in mixer bowl. Attach paddle to mixer. Turn mixer on low and combine flour mixture for 1 minute.
- Measure milk in 2-cup glass measure; add butter. Microwave on High for 75 to 90 seconds or until milk is very warm (120°F to 130°F)(49°C to 54°C) (Use a thermometer to test the temperature.) Add to flour mixture. Beat on low for 2 minutes or until mixture is smooth.
- Turn mixer off; Remove paddle and replace with hook. Add flour, 1⁄4 cup at a time until the mixture begins to cling to the dough hook and pull away from the bowl (about 4 minutes). Continue beating with the dough hook on low for 7 to 10 minutes (set the timer).
- When dough is elastic and smooth, place in a large bowl that has been lightly coated with butter or oil. Turn once to coat the top of the dough. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Place in a warm place to rise (proof) until dough tests ripe or is about doubled in size.
Punch down; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a loaf pan (approx. 9×5-inch). Roll dough into a 7×9-inch rectangle. Beginning on the 7-inch side, roll up tightly and place in loaf pan. Cover and let rise again until imprint from a light touch remains on the side of the loaf.(about 30 minutes).
Bake at 375°F (200°C) for 35 to 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you tap the tops with your fingers (if necessary, cover with foil to prevent over-browning). Immediately remove from pan. Cool on wire racks.
How to Make YEAST BREAD Using a STAND MIXER